I picked up some Tilapia from Costco during my last large grocery run. I figured – why not try something new, rather than relying on a staple fish like salmon? It was a good choice, because Tilapia makes for very good homemade fish sticks.
Here’s my tray of tasty fish sticks before heading into the oven.
Jacquie’s tasty Panko Crusted Tilapia Fish Sticks (Courtesy of, interestingly enough, Mrs. Martha Stewart herself! – hey, she’s got good recipes…)
You will need:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups panko
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (I used Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper)
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into wide strips
- Preheat oven to 475. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Place egg in a wide shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine panko, Old Bay, and oil. Dip tilapia into egg, shaking off excess, then into panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through.